Monday, June 22, 2009

A Full Compost Bin

Now that all the yard trimming is done and the flower beds have been cut back my compost bin is full and ready to be turned for the first time this year. I used most all the compost that I had made and need more to finish mulching around the yard. You can never have to much compost.

This bin had all the garden debris that I cleaned from the garden last fall to start. I added all the cuttings from the daffodils around the yard that were dried, weeds from the garden, kitchen waste and raked leaves from the edge of the woods to mix together. Once I turn this bin into the bin next to it I can start over with filling it again. I should have three full bins by the end of the growing season. Once they all decompose, there will only be one full one to use next spring.

There is no better way to improve the structure of your gardens soil than with a good, nutrient rich humus from your compost pile. It adds the organic matter needed to keep the soil full of the microorganisms needed to have a healthy garden soil. A healthy garden soil is the best way to control insect and disease problems in your organic garden and give your plants the nutrients they need to thrive.

www.organicheirloomgardening.com

No comments: